Saturday, March 29, 2014

So what's going on in Guatemala?

Nic Wirtz wrote up Portillo Admits Guilt, Awaits Sentence for Americas Quarterly. Portillo accepted responsibility for illegally taking $2.5 million in donations from Taiwan.
“I am guilty. I knew at the time that what I was doing was wrong, and I apologize for my crimes, take responsibility for them, and accept the consequences of my actions,” Portillo told the court through an interpreter.
"I understood that, in exchange for these payments, I would use my influence to have Guatemala continue to recognize Taiwan diplomatically," the former president said.
Taiwan has denied that it bribed Portillo in return for diplomatic recognition. The Taiwanese governments stands by its claims that the funds were for school supplies, not diplomatic recognition. Guatemala now has more questions for Taiwan. I do wonder whether the truth behind the cash will impact Portillo's plea deal. I assume it must as there were allegations of misappropriating $70 million during his term. The US courts could have sought a life sentence for all his crimes.

Armed motorcycle gangs have assassinated more than 1,100 victims in Guatemala since 2011. I don't know. I'm not sure it makes sense to call them motorcycle gangs. Anyway, it's dangerous to drive the roads of Guatemala.

Four more suspects were arrested in connection with last September's massacre in San Jose Nacahuil. See here for some background.

The National Intercultural Youth Orchestra (ONIJ) looks to bring together Guatemalans of diverse ethnic backgrounds through music.

Finally, how about a self-sufficient house? An astrophysicist has the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment