Monday, June 2, 2014

Sanchez Ceren inherits security mess in El Salvador

I have a new column up at the World Politics Review that, like many others popping up in the news, criticizes Mauricio Funes' approach to security. As I've made clear, I was a supporter of the gang truce. Given the extreme violence of gangs, drug traffickers, and organized crime, the weak Salvadoran government was in no position to confront daily violence in 2012. 

I hoped that the truce would provide an opportunity for some gang members to "return" to civilian life and for the government to come up with a new plan to combat public security (see my previous Al Jazeera posts). 

Unfortunately, neither reform seems to have taken hold. There have been a few examples of gang members taking advantage of the truce to turn things around but very little in terms of security reform at the national level.

No comments:

Post a Comment